Sunday, 8 January 2012

Blurbs ...


Oh my. Blurbs are difficult. As in, getting the right words, in the right place and making it intriguing and ... and ... and ...

See, though definitely not ready for subbing, I find it useful to try to distil my plots into a short paragraph or three, to see where the strengths and weaknesses are – to see how much information I have actually got. So I’ve been trying to do that for my WiP, fondly known to its friends as Devil. As I suggested in my New Year’s Post, I had more information concerning a, as yet untitled, sequel (Devil II, anyone?). But then I realised I hadn’t laid down any groundwork for the revelations that have left me reeling (yes, my MCs have been very busy in the run up to Christmas), and I thought I had better try doing that little blurb for the one that I know so well – Devil – so that I can then start working out exactly how the sequel will begin.

It turns out it’s hard. I mean, I know the storyline so well, and I know the MCs so well that I thought it would be straightforward to at least get something down that looked vaguely blurb like. This turned out not to be true. I mean, how do you distil magic going bad; an abduction; a complete car crash of a love story (it appears it is going to be that sad); and lots of action – including, but not limited to: a crash; being buried alive under a lot of rubble; as well as fighting  a series of weird monster creations? Oh, don’t forget to add a dash of forgery and petty felony into the mix and yeah, you pretty much have Devil

So, I haven't got it down, but here's my first attempt, having done my favourite past-time - research.

Now, I know that it’s all about revision and, believe me, it’ll need re-writing but – in essence – the plot goes thusly:

What if the Magic goes wrong?

This is what Rhyia, a healer, is about to find out when she’s catapulted headlong into a fight for a machine that can produce magic, the pet project of Hrûne’s ruler, Malek. Unfortunately, that magic is beginning to awaken  ... and after 3,000 years, it’s hungry.

Rhyia’s quiet life in the backwaters of the Cassuan rainforest are suddenly disturbed by the shadowy Sathar, who apparently are stalking her. Forced to flee, she leaves her job researching the plague, aided only by a stranger who, she is convinced, knows far more  about ... well ... everything than he is letting on to her. And getting at the truth is proving far more difficult than Rhyia had anticipated ... especially as things begin to get complicated ... relationship-wise.

However, all romantic thoughts are quickly put aside as Rhyia discovers just how far the deceptions go on each side. Like, for example, what on earth has her father got to with the machine? In an attempt to right things, she heads off to find a way to stop the machine, and rescue her sister who has fallen into the hands of the Hrudûné. Unbeknownst to Rhyia, her sister has her own plans that will wreak havoc in Rhyia’s already precarious world.

Rhyia responds quickly and hi-jinks ensue as she struggles to pull together a motley crew of people who will help to her forge, fight and weasel her way out of the mess she has found herself in. The question is though, can she and the stranger stop bickering long enough to really see what’s going on and help each other to defeat the threat that endangers the entire world?

No comments:

Post a Comment